The 2021 Virtual Worlds Best Practices in Education Committee is excited to open our Call for Volunteers, and we need YOU!
Our 2021 Conference theme is Reconnaissance, which truly defines the year we’ve had and helps give a definition for our amazing Volunteers. Reconnaissance invites us to focus on how we are stepping up to the challenges we face and how we are creating new opportunities to adapt and improve. At the conference, we will celebrate the problem solvers, creative planners and true innovators that we are.
We are proud that the conference is By Educators, For Everyone, and is open without cost for registration, thanks to our wonderful sponsors and volunteers.
We are grateful and gratified to see volunteers returning each year to contribute to the success of the conference, and especially pleased to have new people joining the teams. There is strength in numbers, and the saying, “many hands make light work” is virtually true!
We invite you to join the Reconnaissance team and make this 14th annual conference the most exciting yet! This is a wonderful way to make connections with people in the virtual worlds education community.
Find a role that you are comfortable with:
A Host is usually located at the Gateway landing area, but can also be at the Exhibits and Social Events to help participants.
- The first people that conference participants meet – this is a critical role for the conference.
- Formerly referred to as “Meet and Greet,” but these volunteers do much more than that.
- Familiar with VWBPE areas in Second Life and VWBPE Conference events.
- Welcome participants.
- Direct conference participants to venues, answer questions, give swag bags, etc.
- Share tips and items that are helpful for SL.
- Minimum time commitment: 1 hour training is required, with 1-hour blocks of time commitment (we appreciate multiple time sign ups, please do this at your convenience)
A Mentor is a pre-conference coach and one-on-one support person for the presenter during the conference. Presenters are matched to a mentor.
- Trained on presentation tools used in the different venues.
- Ensure Presenters have the appropriate presentation tools for their assigned venues.
- Train Presenters on the presentation tools, as needed.
- Meet Presenters in the Green Room for the assigned venues.
- Watch the presentations and assist with any technical problems as needed.
- Keep track of the presentation time – most presentations are 50 minutes.
- Mentors may be assigned to assist more than one Presenter.
- When not assigned to a Presenter or actively working with one, a Mentor may be asked to assist another mentor or presenter.
- Minimum time commitment: 1-hour training is required. Time per presenter varies from 1 to 3 hours, depending on the presenter’s experience level.
Quadrivium Assistants help Quadrivium Facilitators in leading a Quadrivium Discussion.
- Introduce Quadrivium Facilitator.
- Assist Quadrivium discussion inworld as needed.
- Copy text chat for Quadrivium Facilitator’s report
- Keep track of time – Quadrivium sessions are usually 50 minutes.
- Trained on SpeakEasy HUD.
- Assist if any technical problems arise.
- Minimum time commitment: 1 hour + .5 hours (Quadrivium + Prep + Assistance with Report).
The Stream Team provides video capture and streaming for each presentation at the conference. They may need to be available for training up to 2 months prior to the conference.
- Experience preferred but not required.
- Willing to learn.
- Comfortable with camera movement inworld.
- Broadband connection.
- Wired connection preferred.
- Reasonably strong computer.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment.
- Minimum time commitment: 1.5-hour blocks – 1 hour recording with set up & wind up (longer blocks are helpful).
- Provide streaming for events happening in VWBPE regions.
- May volunteer for editing of videos after the conference, if interested.
- Minimum time commitment: 4-hour blocks (although longer would be better).
Our Technical Team is available for support when technical issues arise.
- More experienced SL veteran.
- Will have parcel privileges.
- Assist mentors and presenters with technical concerns and logistical issues.
- Are liaisons with Estate Managers when issues arise on the parcels.
- Minimum time commitment: 1 hour training prior to conference, 4-hour blocks.
Ready to Volunteer?
Minimum time commitments are 1 hour shifts. Training for volunteers will begin in early March for most positions. One of our team will contact you with information about training, schedule signups and volunteer activities that you will be invited to attend.
For more information about each role and to sign up, either click the “Ready to Volunteer?” button above or visit the Volunteers tab on our website.
Still have questions? Drop us a line – we’ll be happy to answer any questions you might have about volunteering for VWBPE.
Thank you for joining our VWBPE Reconnaissance Volunteer Team!
Present at Conference
Deadline: 13 January
Create an Exhibit
Deadline: 10 February
Host an Immersive Experience
Deadline: 10 February
Important Dates – 2021
- 13 January – Presentation Proposal Submissions Close
- 14 January 5:00 PM SLT – VWBPE Networking Social: “Back in Bedrock”
SLURL (Second Life location): https://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Rockcliffe%20Village/147/104/1704
- 24 January – Thinkerer Award Nominations Close
- 10 February – Immersive Experiences Proposal Submissions Close
- 10 February – Exhibit Proposal Submissions Close
- 11 February – 5:00 PM slt – VWBPE Networking Social – Details to come
- 18-20 March – VWBPE 2021 Conference
Be an Event Supporter
Become a Sponsor
March 18-20, 2021
* Play * Explore * Engage * Immerse * Learn *