VWBPE 2023: Uncommon RealitiesMarch 23-25, 2023
Volunteer Role Details
Click the role names below to view the descriptions. Then use the form further down the page to join our uncommonly fantastic team at VWBPE 2023!
A Host is usually located at the Gateway landing area, but can also be at the Exhibits and Social Events to help participants.
- The first people that conference participants meet – this is a critical role for the conference.
- Formerly referred to as “Meet and Greet,” but these volunteers do much more than that.
- Familiar with VWBPE areas in Second Life and VWBPE Conference events.
- Welcome participants.
- Direct conference participants to venues, answer questions, give swag bags, etc.
- Share tips and items that are helpful for SL.
- Minimum time commitment: 1 hour training is required, with 1-hour blocks of time commitment (we appreciate multiple time sign ups, please do this at your convenience)
A Mentor is a pre-conference coach and one-on-one support person for the presenter during the conference. Presenters are matched to a mentor.
- Trained on presentation tools used in the different venues.
- Ensure Presenters have the appropriate presentation tools for their assigned venues.
- Train Presenters on the presentation tools, as needed.
- Meet Presenters in the Green Room for the assigned venues.
- Watch the presentations and assist with any technical problems as needed.
- Keep track of the presentation time – most presentations are 50 minutes.
- Mentors may be assigned to assist more than one Presenter.
- When not assigned to a Presenter or actively working with one, a Mentor may be asked to assist another mentor or presenter.
- Minimum time commitment: 1-hour training is required. Time per presenter varies from 1 to 3 hours, depending on the presenter’s experience level.
Quadrivium Assistants help Quadrivium Facilitators in leading a Quadrivium Discussion.
- Introduce Quadrivium Facilitator.
- Assist Quadrivium discussion inworld as needed.
- Copy text chat for Quadrivium Facilitator’s report
- Keep track of time – Quadrivium sessions are usually 50 minutes.
- Trained on SpeakEasy HUD.
- Assist if any technical problems arise.
- Minimum time commitment: 1 hour + .5 hours (Quadrivium + Prep + Assistance with Report).
The Stream Team provides video capture and streaming for each presentation at the conference. They may need to be available for training up to 2 months prior to the conference.
- Experience preferred but not required.
- Willing to learn.
- Comfortable with camera movement inworld.
- Broadband connection.
- Wired connection preferred.
- Reasonably strong computer.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment.
- Minimum time commitment: 1.5-hour blocks – 1 hour recording with set up & wind up (longer blocks are helpful).
- Provide streaming for events happening in VWBPE regions.
- May volunteer for editing of videos after the conference, if interested.
- Minimum time commitment: 4-hour blocks (although longer would be better).
Our Technical Team is available for support when technical issues arise.
- More experienced SL veteran.
- Will have parcel privileges.
- Assist mentors and presenters with technical concerns and logistical issues.
- Are liaisons with Estate Managers when issues arise on the parcels.
- Minimum time commitment: 1 hour training prior to conference, 4-hour blocks.
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with VWBPE! Applications are closed at this time. We will issue a call for volunteers later early in the new year, for the next conference.