VWBPE 2022 Call for Volunteers
The 2022 Virtual Worlds Best Practices in Education Committee is excited to open our Call for Volunteers, and we need YOU! Would you like to join our volunteer team?
Our 2022 Conference theme for this year is Phoenix Rising. The 2022 Virtual Worlds Best Practices in Education Conference is getting close! We would love to have you as a special volunteer. Come join us as the Phoenix rises! Simply go and sign up here: https://www.vwbpe.org/volunteer.
Find a role below that fits you, then fill out the short form.
A Host is usually located at the Gateway landing area, but can also be at the Exhibits and Social Events to help participants.
- The first people that conference participants meet – this is a critical role for the conference.
- Formerly referred to as “Meet and Greet,” but these volunteers do much more than that.
- Familiar with VWBPE areas in Second Life and VWBPE Conference events.
- Welcome participants.
- Direct conference participants to venues, answer questions, give swag bags, etc.
- Share tips and items that are helpful for SL.
- Minimum time commitment: 1 hour training is required, with 1-hour blocks of time commitment (we appreciate multiple time sign ups, please do this at your convenience)
A Mentor is a pre-conference coach and one-on-one support person for the presenter during the conference. Presenters are matched to a mentor.
- Trained on presentation tools used in the different venues.
- Ensure Presenters have the appropriate presentation tools for their assigned venues.
- Train Presenters on the presentation tools, as needed.
- Meet Presenters in the Green Room for the assigned venues.
- Watch the presentations and assist with any technical problems as needed.
- Keep track of the presentation time – most presentations are 50 minutes.
- Mentors may be assigned to assist more than one Presenter.
- When not assigned to a Presenter or actively working with one, a Mentor may be asked to assist another mentor or presenter.
- Minimum time commitment: 1-hour training is required. Time per presenter varies from 1 to 3 hours, depending on the presenter’s experience level.
Quadrivium Assistants help Quadrivium Facilitators in leading a Quadrivium Discussion.
- Introduce Quadrivium Facilitator.
- Assist Quadrivium discussion inworld as needed.
- Copy text chat for Quadrivium Facilitator’s report
- Keep track of time – Quadrivium sessions are usually 50 minutes.
- Trained on SpeakEasy HUD.
- Assist if any technical problems arise.
- Minimum time commitment: 1 hour + .5 hours (Quadrivium + Prep + Assistance with Report).
The Stream Team provides video capture and streaming for each presentation at the conference. They may need to be available for training up to 2 months prior to the conference.
- Experience preferred but not required.
- Willing to learn.
- Comfortable with camera movement inworld.
- Broadband connection.
- Wired connection preferred.
- Reasonably strong computer.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment.
- Minimum time commitment: 1.5-hour blocks – 1 hour recording with set up & wind up (longer blocks are helpful).
- Provide streaming for events happening in VWBPE regions.
- May volunteer for editing of videos after the conference, if interested.
- Minimum time commitment: 4-hour blocks (although longer would be better).
Our Technical Team is available for support when technical issues arise.
- More experienced SL veteran.
- Will have parcel privileges.
- Assist mentors and presenters with technical concerns and logistical issues.
- Are liaisons with Estate Managers when issues arise on the parcels.
- Minimum time commitment: 1 hour training prior to conference, 4-hour blocks.
Training for volunteers will begin in early March for most positions. One of our team will contact you with information about training, schedule signups and volunteer activities that you will be invited to attend.
For more information about each role, and to sign up, please visit the Volunteers tab on our website: https://www.vwbpe.org/volunteer.
It’s fun, you’ll meet great people, get a cool outfit & gifts, and you will be a big help to make our Conference happen. We want you!
We invite you to join the Phoenix team and make this 15th annual conference the most exciting yet! This is a fantastic way to make connections with people in the virtual worlds education community.
We are grateful and overjoyed to see volunteers returning each year to contribute to the success of the conference, and especially pleased to have new people joining the ranks and various teams we will be assembling. There is strength in numbers, and it’s true that “many hands make light work!”
Still need more information? Drop us a line at https://www.vwbpe.org/contact – we’ll be happy to answer any questions you might have about volunteering for VWBPE.
Thank you for joining our VWBPE Phoenix Volunteer Team!
Ready to Volunteer?
Present at Conference
Deadline: 10 January
Create an Exhibit
Deadline: 14 February
Host an Immersive Experience
Deadline: 14 February
Important Dates – 2022
- 10 January – Presentation Proposal Submissions Close
- 20 January 5:00 PM SLT – VWBPE Networking Social: “Mad Science”
SLURL (Second Life location): TBA
- 31 January – Thinkerer Award Nominations Close
- 14 February – Immersive Experiences Proposal Submissions Close
- 14 February – Exhibit Proposal Submissions Close
- 17 February – 5:00 PM slt – VWBPE Networking Social – Details to come
- 31 March – 02 April – VWBPE 2022 Conference
Be an Event Supporter
Become a Sponsor
March 31- April 2, 2022
* Play * Explore * Engage * Immerse * Learn *
Join Our Mailing List!
It’s me, your old friend Blue. Or if we haven’t met, I hope to meet you. In any case, the news may have gotten out through the Virtual Worlds Grapevine, but I would like to officially say that I have accepted the role of VWBPE’s Volunteer Committee Chair.
I know this may be a big change for you, but you’ve seen me at previous conferences and I’ve enjoyed working with many of you volunteers. I look forward to doing it again this year! Our former Volunteer Chair, Elli Pinion, will still be around to offer assistance, and will also continue to serve on the VWBPE Executive Committee.
I truly hope that we can make this another great conference, with the help of you amazing volunteers to make it possible. As the saying goes, “Our Volunteers are Second to None!”
~Bluebarker Lowtide, VWBPE Volunteer Chair