Join our Volunteer Team at VWBPE!
March 18-20, 2021
We are proud that the conference is By Educators, For Everyone, and is open for free registration, thanks to our wonderful sponsors and volunteers.
The 2021 Virtual Worlds Best Practices in Education Conference is getting close. We would love to have you as a Reconnaissance Volunteer!
Come join us – it’s easy!
Find a role that you are comfortable with:
A Host is usually located at the Gateway landing area, but can also be at the Exhibits and Social Events to help participants.
- The first people that conference participants meet – this is a critical role for the conference.
- Formerly referred to as “Meet and Greet,” but these volunteers do much more than that.
- Familiar with VWBPE areas in Second Life and VWBPE Conference events.
- Welcome participants.
- Direct conference participants to venues, answer questions, give swag bags, etc.
- Share tips and items that are helpful for SL.
- Minimum time commitment: 1 hour training is required, with 1-hour blocks of time commitment (we appreciate multiple time sign ups, please do this at your convenience)
A Mentor is a pre-conference coach and one-on-one support person for the presenter during the conference. Presenters are matched to a mentor.
- Trained on presentation tools used in the different venues.
- Ensure Presenters have the appropriate presentation tools for their assigned venues.
- Train Presenters on the presentation tools, as needed.
- Meet Presenters in the Green Room for the assigned venues.
- Watch the presentations and assist with any technical problems as needed.
- Keep track of the presentation time – most presentations are 50 minutes.
- Mentors may be assigned to assist more than one Presenter.
- When not assigned to a Presenter or actively working with one, a Mentor may be asked to assist another mentor or presenter.
- Minimum time commitment: 1-hour training is required. Time per presenter varies from 1 to 3 hours, depending on the presenter’s experience level.
The Stream Team provides video capture and streaming for each presentation at the conference. They may need to be available for training up to 2 months prior to the conference.
- Experience preferred but not required.
- Willing to learn.
- Comfortable with camera movement inworld.
- Broadband connection.
- Wired connection preferred.
- Reasonably strong computer.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment.
- Minimum time commitment: 1.5-hour blocks – 1 hour recording with set up & wind up (longer blocks are helpful).
- Provide streaming for events happening in VWBPE regions.
- May volunteer for editing of videos after the conference, if interested.
- Minimum time commitment: 4-hour blocks (although longer would be better).
Our Technical Team is available for support when technical issues arise.
- More experienced SL veteran.
- Will have parcel privileges.
- Assist mentors and presenters with technical concerns and logistical issues.
- Are liaisons with Estate Managers when issues arise on the parcels.
- Minimum time commitment: 1 hour training prior to conference, 4-hour blocks.
Ready to Volunteer?
Thank you for joining our
VWBPE Reconnaissance Volunteer Team!
Training for volunteers will begin in early March for most positions. One of our team will contact you with information about training, schedule signups and volunteer activities that you will be invited to attend.
For more information about each role and to sign up, either click one of the “Ready to Volunteer?” buttons on this page or visit the Volunteers tab on our website.
It’s fun! You meet great people, get a cool outfit & gifts. You help to make our Conference happen.
We want YOU and invite you to join the Reconnaissance team and make this 14th annual conference the most exciting yet! This is a wonderful way to make connections with people in the virtual worlds education community.
Still have questions? Drop us a line – we’ll be happy to answer any questions you might have about volunteering for VWBPE.
March 18-20, 2021
* Play * Explore * Engage * Immerse * Learn *